December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

This Christmas has been a little different than ones before because...well, for a number of reasons but the main one being that my family is all sick.
Let me just tell you all that being sick for Christmas is just about the worst thing that could ever happen. Honestly. Ok, maybe not THE worst thing but pretty close because it ruins a lot of the fun family traditions that we have at my house for Christmas.
BUT with my family being the awesome way they are, we were determined, even with illness to keep up on just a few of them so that Christmas wouldn't be completely different than the way it usually is.
Traditions that we usually do:
-watch "It's a Wonderful Life"
-Daddy/daughter bowling
-Christmas Eve dinner at Grandma and Grandpa Smith's house
-watch "A Year Without a Santa Claus"
-reading the story of Christmas out of Luke
-tracking Santa

We watched "It's a Wonderful Life" as a family in my parents' bedroom last night. That movie is a classic and reminds you to be grateful for the things you have and the people in your life. It wouldn't be Christmas without that.

Usually we go bowling at the bowling alley with my dad on Christmas Eve Day while my mom does things for her but this year, with everyone being sick, we had to resort to "at home bowling"... aka Wii Bowling. It was actually really fun! Collette and Stephanie made everyone a coupon that said 'good for one free game of Wii bowling' and had it set up downstairs like a bowling alley. They even had everyone's shoes set out at a little table in the hall. It was cute haha and everyone played, even Mom. Dad kicked out butts (as usual).

Sadly, Christmas Eve dinner at Grandma and Grandpa Smith's house was the one tradition that we couldn't do this year. My grandma gets sick really easily and we didn't want to pass our sickness on to her so we stayed home. So this year, Christmas dinner came to us. My grandparents stopped by and dropped off dinner to us from the Garden House. It was really yummy but definitely not the same as eating it with them at their house. My grandpa also dropped off some gifts from Santa that we usually get at their house so we opened them up in my parents' room. We all got some soft new slippers! My grandparents are so wonderful to take care of us :)
My sisters and I watched a marathon of some of our favorite 'Christmas Classics' on the 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family after dinner. Our all time favorite is "The Year Without a Santa Claus" and it just wouldn't feel like Christmas without that.

After watching that together, we headed upstairs to read the real story of Christmas in Luke with the family. Dad read it to us and then we all sang Christmas songs together around the piano even with our coughing and hoarse voices. This is the part that really made it feel like Christmas. Being with my family and remembering the Savior is what Christmas is to me.

Before bed, though, we absolutely cannot forget to track Santa online and see where he is or Erin has a come-apart. Erin is so excited for Santa and it is fun for all of us to feel her joy of believing so it is fun that we can track Santa online.


This year has been a little crazy what with wedding plans and everything else that goes on in our busy lives and that has made Christmas a little different than usual. It's weird to think that this is my last Christmas holiday I'll spend with my family as a single girl. Dan is off in Highland with his family and I'm missing him but I'm glad for the time I have to just be silly with my sisters and my parents and I'm glad for the time he gets to spend with his family as well.

I love my family and Dan so much! I truly am blessed to have such wonderful people in my life and to be so loved. I'm so thankful for the gospel in my life and for my Savior. I love Christmas because it helps me remember all that he has done for me.

Merry Christmas to you all!

No comments: