August 12, 2010

Hate List

Yesterday, I went to the library and searched and searched for a good book to read. I took Dan with me, claiming that I NEEDED to have a book because I have to work from 8am to 5pm on Friday and I would need it so that I wouldn't be completely bored. But, I'm thinking that I will need to make another trip there just so that I will actually have something to read on Friday...I'm almost finished with this one!
Last night I was sitting my bed and I felt compelled to start reading it. Ok. Problem. Once I started, I couldn't stop. BIG problem. I stayed up until 2:30am reading the stupid thing! 155 pages by last night and 282 pages by today. haha But I guess that just means it's a good book, right?
Right! This book is really good. It's real and troubling and emotional and horrible and serious all at the same time. You really feel for what the character is going through and feeling and I can't wait to finish the book so that I can see how it all ends up for the poor girl. It makes me think and feel grateful that I never had to go through that or deal with anything that big in my life. I love when books can make you feel all of that.
The book is Hate List by Jennifer Brown. It's fairly new. Published in 2009. And so far, I suggest this as a book to read. It's different than most other books I've read (I'm usually into the happy-feel-good books or the mystery-catch-the-killer books) but it's one that I'm really liking right now. Probably because it's something different for me and I like that. Besides the fact that I just LOVE reading. Seriously. I wish I could spend all my time sprawled out on a blanket outside under a shady tree in the warm weather reading. That'd be nice and I'd do it everyday. No kidding. haha

Anyway, here's a short synopsis of the book or a teaser of sorts...
(from the book flap)

What if you wished someone would die and then it happened?

What if the killer was someone you loved?


Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a fellow classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the
memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends, and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.
Read the book. It's really good. It has a few "if-y" parts as far as language goes but it's not something that should make you pass on this book. It'll definitely capture your attention and keep you reading. It has for me and I can't wait to finish it!

No comments: